Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dude the Coloring of this Mic is Like SO Warm!

Ughhh... Oh my GOSH dudes! I need to talk on this thing more often. I keep telling myself, "dude, go write stuff. Go write stuff now!" and in reply I just go... "Nah... I'd rather spend three more hours perusing what the pretentious dicks over at Gearslutz have to say about the HK235AZ-2000 Jiggawat Tube Pres blah blah blah..." What a fucking waste... I keep telling myself. That's something I never really understood about the audio world... people's obsession with gear and making recordings that sound 100% polished like they were recorded in outer space.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Good song + good musicians + semi-decent room and mic placement = GOOD RECORDING. PERIOD. No ands ifs or buts about it.

All the Auralex bass traps and diffusors and Grace pre-amps in the world won't make a bad song good and they won't make a bad musician play well.

These dudes spend hours arguing over what the best sounding mics, compressors, and pre-amps are and who has the best tubes for whatever, yadda yadda, but a lot of them are just recording in their basements or bedrooms so it really doesn't matter. To an extent, discussing this stuff is like a painter sitting around for days on end trying to decide which paint brush to use instead of thinking about what he's going to create with it. I just don't get it.

Lately I've had this fear of turning into the guys on those boards who spend so much time bragging about the tens of thousands of dollars they've poured into their gear and then when you go listen to the stuff they've recorded it's all clean and polished... but it's lifeless and their songs and the songs of the bands they work with are all terrible because they spent so much time obsessing over gear and getting clients to come pay to use their gear so they can buy bigger gear and on and on and on... and then they spent 30 years never bothering to listen to or write good music so now they blow their families money turning their basements into the ultimate listening station and their wives all hate them... and on and on and on... again.

Ugh... please tell me I won't end up like that.

But I mean, it's not all bad. There are some legitimate professionals on there... somewhere. Because I have found a nugget of insight on these boards every now and again. But for the most part it's all just one big pissing contest to see who can do the most name dropping. Not for me. And yet I still waste so much time perusing that crap. It doesn't make sense. Sometimes I really hate having access to the internet.

On another note, I've saved up a bit of cash and between all my experiences in teaching and recording and such, I think it might be a good idea for me to put a couple hundred more bucks into outfitting my own collection of recording gear (I'm gonna buy the warmest pres man!) and my goal is to offer the most cost effective and helpful way for young people to record demos and get on their feet. It seems to me that there's way too many people out there who are preying on young musicians with a couple hundred bucks to throw around and either over charging them or giving them a shitty project but convincing them it's awesome... or both. I'd like to be the dude who's like, "straight up dudes, we're just recording in my bedroom, so I'm barely going to charge you shit... and if you aren't good enough to make a good recording yet, I'm not going to lie, tell you it's awesome, and then take the money and run. We can work that shit out."

So that's what I want to do... but it's kind of hard because I never really live in the same place for more than a year at a time at this point in my life so I can set up a decent place to work. Plus the fact that I already work with teaching kids to record at my job... so I can't really take money from anyone under the age of 18 to do a recording for them from my house. We have rules against that and stuff. Plus I don't want to use my job as a funnel to further profits for me down the line... that's kind of scummy. But whatever... that's what I've been thinking about these days.

First I need to get a bigger hard drive in my computer and then upgrade to the full Logic Studio... cus it's sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment