Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Apparently Mr. Mann Isn't Grading This... Who Knew!?

I am slacking so bad on this thing! So much for New Years Resolutions! Amirite guyz?! I finally got back around to updating because my friend Megan told me I needed to get back to work on it...

Oh also, before we go on, I need to mention that I have an adorable girlfriend named Jen and a pretty bad ass roommate named Kyle. We're all buds.

Okay. Hopefully that will cut down on some serious bar ridicule!

Back to what I was saying. I've been putting off updating because every time I go, "oh yeah! That's what I want to ramble about today." I then go, " Oh man... I have to go through all this hassle to cite my sources to prove my point and find fun videos and pictures to keep it interesting. Then I need to pull quotes from the videos or articles and talk about them..." What a minute that all sounds very familliar...

Megan pointed out to me what I've really been treating my blog as, a high school research paper!! A high school research paper that I can say "fuck" in all I want... but a high school research paper none the less!! No wonder I procrastinate on this thing like it's my job! Like last week, I had the misfortune of being sick on the day of and the day after those dumb as Tax Day Tea parties... Wow, what a frustratingly comedic sham that was! But the point is, the more I watched the train wreck of what all the networks claimed to be "coverage" the more reference materials I had that I would have to go back and dig up to refer to and cite and pick apart line by line. That's just way too exhausting to put together a couple pages worth of poignant laughs that only a few people will read and in all cases will just be preaching to the choir.

Now that we've identified the problem here how do we solve it? The obvious solution, I figure, is just stop doing research. I could just talk out of my ass and pass my opinions as facts like every other "news source" on the internet... on cable... on broadcast... and in print for that matter. It seems like that's fair game these days. Sorry Ed Murrow, but I think I'm just as lazy as everyone else. I think I'm just going to rant like the rest of them from now on.

With that in mind, here's my opinion of what happened last week on tax day...

A bunch of wealthy white people and idiots who just like to protest their own well being got in their cars and drove on roads maintained by their public works department and hung out in publicly funded parks and spaces to claim that they were bitching and moaning about paying taxes that all go to "the multinational banks and corporations". What they were actually doing is venting their frustration over the fact that THEY LOST and they are now the MINORITY.

One certain cable news station spent a lot of time and money conning these people into attending and convincing them that they're actually the majority and that their voices are ignored (elections don't count). This network used a number of key phrases and talking points to convince a few idiot viewers that the events they were sponsoring were non-partisan and truly of the people and by the people any time they were questioned about why they had these protests now instead of a few months ago when another dude was president. They were lying. They did it because they are mad that THEY LOST and they are now the MINORITY... that and Rupert Murdoch sent them memos telling them what buzz words, phrases, and stories to focus on just like he does any other day.

There's just too much frustrating absurdity to address in this whole situation that I'm going to give my self an aneurysm if I continue, so I'm just going to leave it with a quote from Jon Stewart to the Tea Party goers and their proponents...

"You lost. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco."

Sometimes a bit of vulgarity is just so satisfying...

Maybe if I tried making this blog more about stuff that I like it'd be easier. So let me just end this with, I saw the Slackers last night and Vic is still one of my top personal heroes and an inspiration. Man I love that band.

No comments:

Post a Comment